Monday, June 12, 2006

Technical fun

The fun part about Blogger is that although there's a plethora of basic templates to choose from when deciding how your site should look, every single one except for the most plug-ugly gives you very little actual space to write your posts. The result of this is lines that are maybe ten or so words long apiece; to read a sentence of any fair length (like this one), you have to jump back and forth across the page like one of those sidebar stories on the front page of the newspaper. For example, my 'host family' post, which I considered reasonably short, took up a screen and a half on my laptop. Heaven knows what would happen if I tried to post an opinion piece. The current layout also makes it a bit harder to upload decent-sized pictures.

Unfortunately, with the way the template's set up, the only way to make it wider is to manually go in and edit about a dozen images while still keeping their transparency. I may try this sometime in the future--pretty much everyone visiting here so far is on a resolution bigger than 800x600--but for now I'll have to make do with more stopgap solutions. I'm toying a bit with the font size and margins, so I can fit more in a decent space without cramming everything together. If you're reading this, you're seeing my new changes, so let me know if this is better, worse, or what. (If you can't tell a difference, try refreshing the page.)

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo!

I don't know, but on my screen it looks like you can somehow "expand" your writing area to the left so that it fills up the navy space on the screen?

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.
the alternate spelling of "amphigory" is fantastic---is that new?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home